Tuesday, November 10, 2015

LATINA/OS TAKE CENTER STAGE: CENSUS 2000


A.C.

LATIN MIGRATION TO WASHINGTON HEIGHTS

This past summer, I participated a famous musical, you may know it; It’s called In The Heights. The musical was written by Lin Manuel Miranda, a second generation Puerto Rican-American who wanted to portray the struggles many Latinos face living in an area such as Washington Heights. The thing about Manuel’s musical is that he indicates that the Hispanic population has the same struggles that any ethnicity or race faces. He points out that each character has the intent of setting up the best life possible for each of them, which could be said about the Latin Migration into the United States, ¿No?

During the beginning stages of the Latin Migration, Washington Heights began with a high incoming rate of Puerto Rican population, followed by Cubans fleeing from Fidel Castro’s communist revolution, Dominicans looking to escape the tyranny of El Jefe. The difference in America is that it was almost a guarantee that any ethnicity could come to find a better life, especially since fear became instilled in so many Hispanic cultures. The struggle to receive the same treatment as whites became very time-consuming, and still has not been 100% solved, but the hope for living the American Dream will always resonate within those who came to the country, and over time would become apart of what is now American culture.
                 
Washington Heights, also known as District 12, has a population of 152,489. It is a small area New York that overlooks the GWB. Bordering the Hudson River, and slightly north of Upper Manhattan, Washington Heights is an area surrounded by diversity. According to Census Viewer, from the year 2000 to 2010, the Latino/Hispanic population has had a dramatic change of 304.03%.  The largest growth was seen in Hispanic youth, aging between ten and nineteen years old. ­­­­Although, Washington Heights has a reputation for having a high Hispanic population, the largest race is white with 65.60% whereas the Hispanic race is 29.33%. The increase in Hispanic population was directly correlated to the decrease in the White population. The census indicates that the Caucasian population decreased nearly 20% whereas the Latin population increased that same 20% within the last decade.
                 
Gentrification is a key concept when discussing Washington Heights. Many Hispanics see Caucasians coming into their neighborhoods looking to ‘upgrade’ the culturally intact area, but the area will not be converted so easily. By adding condos and Starbucks to the neighborhood, yes it may increase the net worth of the city but the people who live there and have assimilated to American culture have made Washington Heights their home. According to Magical Urbanism, the Hispanic population will only grow over the next several decades.  Portrayed in a table called “US Latinos as a Latin Nation”, US Latinos will have the third largest Hispanic population of all the Hispanic populations with 96.5 million people. The United States is said to have a higher Hispanic population in 2050 than Colombia, and Argentina whereas of 2000, US Latinos had the fifth highest Hispanic population with 35.3 million Hispanics.

Now someone like myself who has had mixed feelings on the increase Latin/ Hispanic populations has officially come to a conclusion: every individual should have the ability to come to the United States, if that is what can help them get the best opportunities. All Americans, no matter their ethnicity, race, gender, religion etc. deserves the opportunity to live the life they hope to lead, and that’s the allusion associated with America. Everyone wishes to strive for the American Dream.

Washington Heights, New York Population. <Censusviewer.com>
Joseph Berger. Washington Heights Today: Gentrification.  The Peopling of New York 2011. <https://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/berger2011/washington-heights/washington-heights-today/ >
Joseph Berger. Hispanic/Latino Immigrants.  The Peopling of New York 2011. < https://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/berger2011/washington-heights/the-immigrants-of-washington-heights/hispaniclatino-immigrants/>

8 comments:

  1. I find this blog interesting because I read it and learned something new. I live in the Bronx but close to Washington Heights, and whenever I have gone there, I am mostly surrounded by Dominicans. The Heights to me and a lot of my friends is known to have tons of Dominicans and Hispanics, so it is interesting to read that they are not the majority of the region's population, but rather whites are, with a population of 65% ! Honestly, I would have never guessed but I believe this deals with these races settle themselves.
    By this I mean that I enter the neighborhoods where hispanics reside but not whites. It has always been an obvious fact that most races like to reside among their own. So though it is an interesting fact that 65% of the Washington Heights population is white, I realized it should not be such a surprise to me because I have not really entered a region of the Heights concentrated with whites. I quickly looked at Bronx census, and see that Hispanics are 54% of the population and whites are 45%. Though only 9% off, I have seen way more hispanics than I have seen whites. To be honest, most of the whites I have encountered were my teachers, who came from Harlem or Westchester county. I grew up in the South Bronx, where most of my friends were either Latino or Africans. Returning to my main point, people like to reside with their own kind. We all have segregated our own kind to reside in certain communities. This is not really a problem but I believe that because we are located mostly in the same areas, we appear overwhelming to the data census.
    -Y.M.
    Source: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/36005.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really informing post. I find it interesting and I'm surprised to have learned certain facts including geographical and demographical facts. I have been at Washington Heights numerous times before, and I am very surprised to read that the majority of the people there are actually white. I say this because whenever I go, I always see the streets are filled with latinos and small latino businesses, dominicans mostly. I also liked that you spoke about gentrification, because I am pretty passionate about that subject. I am glad to see that it won't be easy trying to push latinos out of this neighborhood, and that instead the population of latinos will actually be growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As many of the others who read this blog post, I too was shocked when I found out the largest population residing in Washington Heights is not Latinos but Whites. I have plenty of friends of Hispanic background and they all live or visit the Heights on a daily. The last time I visited, I mainly saw Hispanics, there were rarely a Caucasian in sight. But I do agree that people of the same ethnic background always feels more comfortable living with their own people. I guess for them its their home away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its funny to learn that whites make up most of the population in Washington Heights, when they are not the population that are mostly seen. Most of the area caters to the hispanic demographic, and it also makes me think about how the Caucasians may feel living in a area that isn't really catering to them as much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was a very interesting read because a similar scenario is being played out in my neighboring town. A once white dominant society several years ago has become a completely mixed race/more minority population within recent years. The city like inner structures of the town is settled by the minority group whether they are hispanic or African American etc. while the whites dominate the wealthier outer suburban area of town. To some this is an issue but in my opinion, i agree with your perspective. i believe everyone deserves the right to live in the united states in order to live an optimal life and given the best opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Interesting to know Washington Heights is majority white. Great point in bringing up gentrification is Washington Heights--I believe Dr. Londoño stated that there is not much literature on Washington Heights and latinization--so it is interesting to see how you were able to use other information to tie latinization and gentrification. Washington Heights has a ton of culture just on the streets.I wonder that if the white population has decreased in recent years, if it is the younger Latino population gentrifying their own?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Interesting to know Washington Heights is majority white. Great point in bringing up gentrification is Washington Heights--I believe Dr. Londoño stated that there is not much literature on Washington Heights and latinization--so it is interesting to see how you were able to use other information to tie latinization and gentrification. Washington Heights has a ton of culture just on the streets.I wonder that if the white population has decreased in recent years, if it is the younger Latino population gentrifying their own?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting to know that US Latinos will have the third largest Hispanic population of all the Hispanic populations with 96.5 million people and that the United States is said to have a higher Hispanic population in 2050 than Colombia, and Argentina whereas of 2000, US Latinos had the fifth highest Hispanic population with 35.3 million Hispanics! This fact is mind blowing when you consider all of the problems Latinos and Hispanics still face today in this country. I have always known that 1/3 of the U.S. is Mexican and I have never understood why this country is so hateful and discriminate towards Mexicans, besides the issues of the War on Drugs, which includes many countries, not just Mexico! I agree with your post and think that the U.S. should be the welcoming country it has lived by and everyone deserves a chance at a good life. I am not familiar with cities in New York and it is really nice to get to see New York in other perspectives and see behind the facade of tall buildings and a wealthy environment.

    ReplyDelete