Tuesday, November 10, 2015

LATINA/O TAKE CENTER STAGE: CENSUS 2000

BY STUDENT

When you think of “new” Latino migration what do you think of? Do you think of the new wave of Latinos coming to a place like ‘Dyckman, NY’ or ‘Jackson Heights, Queens’? When I read the heading, “New” Latino migration, I immediately thought of a new wave coming into a already Latino populated area, like Jackson Heights, Queens. You think of suburban and urban areas of where multiple races live, however, when you think of Latinos you think of them living in Urban Areas not suburban. However, this is a textbook example of the stereotypical view of the suburban and urban areas. “More than half of all Americans now live in “suburbia” urban areas outside of what the U.S census defines ‘central cities’” (Jones-Correa 183). When I first read this I thought to myself well they must have fled because of the poor economic situation in the urban cities, and I’m sure most minority groups thought so too, however the reality is much different. Often most of those who move into the suburbs are faced with the same if not worse violence and poverty they were once experiencing in the urban cities. As I read more information I came to find out that although living in the suburbs ended up being the same if not worse than living in urban cities, for most minority groups it was not the same for Latinos. “For Hispanics, suburban life is the good life..It’s the American Dream. First you go where you’re comfortable, make a little money, get a little English and then head for the suburbs” (Sueiro). 

A specific area that I found was interesting was the “new wave” of Latinos in Washington D.C. “As a result of its great ethnic and racial diversity, suburban D.C politics has changed in four significant areas: growth, education, quality of life, and representation” (Jones-Correa 186). Over the span of 10 years the population growth in the Washington D.C Metropolitan area has increased by ‘16%’. A very important factor in the new wave of Latinos in the suburbs is that its not predominately one ethnic group; it’s made up of various Latino national groups that are slowly but surely taking over. While the “new wave” is said to be positive for Latinos, the process getting there was not easy and still isn’t. There were numerous problems with the new wave in the D.C metro area. For example, the schools in D.C were notorious for “their ability to attract and keep the allegiance of the upper-middle class” (Jones-Correa 196). However with the new migration of Latinos, that changed the demographics they were previously interested in. This lead to the racial separation in some schools, because upper class white students were now mixed with low-middle class minorities. Another problem was the social identity in Latinos, as well as other minority groups. The social identity of a student is crucial to their educational success, so when you place a minority student in a environment where only whites are said to prosper, you hinder the social identity of the student therefore causing them to believe they cannot achieve the same academic success as whites. 

The “new wave” of Latino migration is still a very controversial topic because there are still a lot of things that we don’t know are happening in these areas, such as the D.C metropolitan area. Although there are still hardships that many minorities are experiencing because of the changing demographics, keep in mind that the changes that are being made are in favor for minority groups. This “wave” has had a rippling effect in the sense that the areas that are stereotyped typed as majority white Americans, are now being somewhat forced into changing or molding their new neighbors (Latinos) in order to avoid racial tensions or protests among the community. After reading a little about the “new wave” what other important factors do you think would not only promote the new wave but also hinder the wave in terms of the quality of life for minorities?




Citations:

1.     Kruse, Kevin Michael, and Thomas J. Sugrue. "Reshaping the American Dream." In The New Suburban History, 183-196. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2006.
2.     Witt, Karen. "Suburban Expansion Fed By an Influx of Minorities." The New York Times. August 14, 1994. Accessed November 10, 2015.

8 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting post because I actually have family that has moved to the suburbs here in NY. My dad lives in Mount Vernon and according the cited article he does live the "american dream" He got a little money , learned a little english and eventually moved to the suburbs. Problems that he encounters is the lack of Latino culture in his immediate area. It seems that this country's leaders realized how politically incorrect racism was, so they traded it with "socio-economic problems within income brackets". Latino populations are vigorously growing and the spaces for them to live are become more and more limited... Which could increase racial tensions within the country which are already quite heightened following the more recent race fueled crimes of police brutality against blacks and Hispanics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same my parents also did the same thing, they moved from their countries, worked a little bit, earned some money, learned English and was also living their version of the American dream.

      Delete
  2. Interesting post. You touched a several interesting topics. One I would like to point out is where you touched on the new migration of Latinos leading to racial separation in some schools due to upper class white students being mixed with low/middle class minorities. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by stating the social identity of a minority student would be hindered by placing them in the same class as majority whites. Why would they not be able to achieve the same academic success being place in a majority white class room? I would believe if one is place in a group of affluent people, that may influence you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. You touched a several interesting topics. One I would like to point out is where you touched on the new migration of Latinos leading to racial separation in some schools due to upper class white students being mixed with low/middle class minorities. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by stating the social identity of a minority student would be hindered by placing them in the same class as majority whites. Why would they not be able to achieve the same academic success being place in a majority white class room? I would believe if one is place in a group of affluent people, that may influence you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similarly to what other classmates have commented, I as well have family that lived in Queens in the same community I was raised in and once they saved enough money they left the city and moved to the suburbs and to be specific Charles Town, West Virginia to live the "American Dream". But I did not know that the discrimination Latinos face in the suburbs has gone to the extent where school's are segregated. I have never asked my family members since I was not aware of the issue but it is interesting to find out that it is like that in those areas. It makes me question how my cousins are viewed in their town and how I would if I was to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's eye opening to see how segregation and other issues like this are still relevant nowadays, it leaves me flabbergasted.My parents worked hard from migrating from their countries because they wanted a better life for their kids and after a couple years of hard work they were able to finally buy a house in the suburbs, and my family has stayed there ever since. I never realized that even after all the kids from Latinos parents who have achieved the "American Dream" might still be oppressed and segregated in their own community, educational environment, and probably from their own peers. It makes me grateful for where I personally grew up, but I am astounded that if I was moved to somewhere else I could be viewed down upon especially from my parent's origins. I don't even like the term "new wave", I just hope it doesn't become a Branding name because I feel like that comes with such a negative connotation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's eye opening to see how segregation and other issues like this are still relevant nowadays, it leaves me flabbergasted.My parents worked hard from migrating from their countries because they wanted a better life for their kids and after a couple years of hard work they were able to finally buy a house in the suburbs, and my family has stayed there ever since. I never realized that even after all the kids from Latinos parents who have achieved the "American Dream" might still be oppressed and segregated in their own community, educational environment, and probably from their own peers. It makes me grateful for where I personally grew up, but I am astounded that if I was moved to somewhere else I could be viewed down upon especially from my parent's origins. I don't even like the term "new wave", I just hope it doesn't become a Branding name because I feel like that comes with such a negative connotation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In reading this article I was thinking abut why my Dominican born parents moved from the suburbs when they lived the majority of their lives in the city. My parents always told my siblings and me that they did not want us to be raised in the city. I never understood this because they ended up being well off living in the city. I guess my Dad just wanted a place to call his own and live the "American Dream" of living in suburbia.Sometimes i contemplate what my life would be like if I lived in NYC. I believe I would be more comfortable speaking Spanish and speak fluently because I would be surrounded by all my relatives who consistently speak Spanish. I also feel that I would be more into my Dominican Culture because I would be surrounded by other Dominicans.

    ReplyDelete