Tuesday, October 27, 2015

TRANSNATIONAL URBAN LATINIZATION



BY STUDENT

Being born in the city of New York has had a great impact on me because I was able to see the differences of growing up here in the US and what its like to grow up in Mexico. Being the daughter of two Mexican parents has made me realized I was blessed. Growing up in Manhattan allowed me to experience different establishment of cultures. In Manhattan, I lived by what was know as “Mexico land” which was in 116st from Lexington avenue to first avenue. Many people didn’t like to live there because a lot of Mexican immigrants lived around those streets, throughout time they began to “Mexicanize it” by having more restaurants with Mexican food, placing plazas on the weekends, and having a Cinco de mayo and the Mexican independence day parade there. Latinos have slowly established their different cultures and traditions in many cities and have influenced the people around them. By noticing this how has transnationalism urban latinization continued to impact the lives of people today?

While watching the Sixth Section in class, the documentary talked about how a group of Mexican men who had came to the United States had started el Grupo Union. This group was formed to make a change in Mexico, they wanted to make their country back home a better place. They began to save up money to send back to their country to build a stadium, they tried to get a well that would supply water since there was a drought and bought an ambulance to help transport the sick. I was really amazed that other people do this because I thought that my family were the only ones that did this. It has become like a family group and what they do is save up money from their paychecks to send to Mexico, they are trying to make their hometown a better place so that in the future they can go back to a better home. My family has been saving up money for almost 4 years now and every year they send to Mexico to repair or build something. In the pueblo they have a big festival in may and it is use to collect money to start a school band, to repair the school, and even the house they are building in Mexico. I never understood at the beginning why they would send so much money, why not invest it in a better living here. As they got more involved in the rebuilding of their hometown, my mom began to explain that her goal was never to stay here in the US to live but to come for like three years to make money and then go back to Mexico with all the money she made and live in peace. That obviously didn’t work out she’s been here for twenty-three years and she can’t wait to go back, since she hasn’t been able to she my grandparents. Watching the film has allowed me to see the connection that although many have become accustomed to the life in New York City their heart is still back in their home country and you will allows try to make it the best it can be from building new places to creating a better life there.

In the interview with Alex Rivera, he states “Reality sets the stage for transnational movement. There’s a message constantly being sent into the immigrant community of not being wanted. One response is transnational organizing: “I’m going to organize and send money. I will become powerful there, where my family is. I will become powerful somehow.”(Decena 2006) I agree with his statement because being illegal in the US you automatically have lost most of your rights. Not being able to vote takes away the opportunity of expressing your opinions, not everyone thinks the same way. Many immigrants leaving in the US always seem to be scared they believe that if they commit a small mistake they can be sent back home. Many of them have their mind set to making money for a better life and having their family living better. Manhattan has become a place were Mexicans can come together and feel like they are back home but also working together to better their country. Many live the American lifestyle but the Mexican blood runs in their veins.


Work cited:

Decena, Carlos Ulises, and Margaret Gray. "Putting Transnationalism to Work." 2006.
https://blackboard.albany.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-1951496-dt-content-rid-8928134_1/courses/2159-ALCS-283-10080/decena_sixth_section_2006.pdf

16 comments:

  1. I can actually relate to your blog a lot. I am the daughter of two Bengali immigrants residing in East New York. I fall right on the borderline between Brooklyn and Queens (Ozone Park) and there are many others just like me that resides in that area. So I too, noticed the cultural impact and the different establishments that began to form. There are many Indian and "Desi" restaurants in my neighborhood as well as street fairs in the summer with stands of food and clothes from my culture. I get to witness classical Indian performances and get to experience a little of Bangladesh in America.

    My family also saves up money to send back to my country to help our family back home as well as the neighborhood. My dad has saved a lot of his money to help build mosques in Bangladesh as well as schools for children living more in the impoverished villages. Bangladesh is considered a third world country where more than half of its population grows up in poverty. During special holidays, my dad sends back money to buy food for the poor people so they can have some food on their plate and celebrate with their families as well. Through these selfless acts, I have realized how blessed I am. My parents too mention they don't want to stay here for too long and that the only reason they stay back is so my siblings and I can have a good education and be successful and achieve the "American dream".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really respect your family for what they do. My mom is a colombian immigrant who came to this country not knowing anyone. she was the only one in her family to make it to the united states so all her savings every year are sent to colombia. A lot of the things in my house in colombia back in the day were from money she sent. Now my mom is only one person, but i want to continue what she does. I actually want to help the community out, as opposed to my mom who only had enough resources to support her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like M.U. and Jeffery, I too can relate to your blog post. My parents come from Poland and similar to your mom, my mom did not initially plan here to stay for long. Both my parents have been in the United States for over 20 years and have also frequently sent money to Poland since they have arrived. It is thanks to immigrants such as our parents, who keep their home country in their hearts and make a conscious effort to continue to help, we can see the strong bonds between nations on a micro scale. This is a clear example that shows it does not necessarily have to be large intergovernmental organizations such as the United Nations that aid other countries, but instead can be families such as ours and Grupo Union that strive to improve the quality of life for people in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really have admiration for people who come to the realization that America is a pretty special place. The fact that your parents put aside money to go back to their community is absolutely amazing. I feel like Mexicans face a lot of criticism. I know anyone who finds that I have Mexican roots automatically come up with the joke "border-hopper." Its frustrating because just like every other hispanic group, Mexicans are doing what they can to improve their quality of life by coming to this country. Saying that, Mexicans such as your family are not "border-hoppers" but setting up the best life possible for their children in addition to helping support their Mexican community. Props to them.
    A.C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, like many others said have much admiration for you're family too. I think that its incredible when people decide that they want to save money to send back home, or send anything they know will help the people. For me, I know that my mom always sent either my or my brothers clothes that didn't fit anymore back to Dominican Republic. Around where I live there are many children that don't really have any clothes or a decent pair of shoes. So I think that what our parents do plays an important role in transnational urban latinization

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its extremely common for individuals to immigrate to the US with a purpose to stay here for a couple of years and return to their motherland. My mom never came to the US with the idea to return to El Salvador to live but she did come with the purpose help the family that was left behind. She always sends money to my aunts and cousin to help out. What she does send helps out tremendously in improving their life style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a lot of those above, my mother came from Peru, then moved to Spain and eventually came to the US. It is great that you are able to send money back to Mexico. I feel it is very important to not forget where you came from, just because you left. Sixth Section had a similar impact on me and made me realize this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very touching and relatable post. I grow up in the Bronx with some of my siblings and my mother. However, I had four more siblings in Honduras that were left behind when my mother came to New York in the 80s. Constantly, my mother sends money and large containers of goodies to my siblings and other family members. My mother and some friends here in New York even created a committee to raise money to build a bridge for our hometown because we have to travel by boat a lot, which is very scary and dangerous. I have no idea if my mother intends to go back to Honduras one day but I see that she hopes to build her town and this is what many immigrants do. Its very touching to see this and its even more touching to see that when we arrive to the States, we try to build communities to remind us of home. Sadly, many people feel threaten because of this and it is appalling to see that while living in a diverse country, they cannot be open minded.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is very true that a lot of immigrants come to America for greater opportunities and to make money to send back to their home country to make for a better life there. My parents have been doing that for years as well, working and saving up to send money back to Bangladesh to help their families and neighborhoods. It is important to understand your roots and culture, and understand why you are where you are. In addition, immigrant parents who want the best for their children bring them to America to have a better education and be successful, so they can have a better life than they may have had otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly appreciate your post. My mother also have a separate saving to send money back to Nepal to help out her family. She has been doing it ever since she came to America. It is really heartwarming to see other families doing the same thing.
    Last summer, I met a mexican guy while I was working at a flower shop. He came to American when he was 21 years old and wanted to go to college. However due to financial problems he started working. He bought a huge land in New jersey and started his own floral business.
    He said that he would send all his money back to mexico to build a roads in his home town. Just like your parents and the Mexican guy I really admire what they have done for their community and never forgetting where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is nice to see that many of us can relate to our parent's experience and see a different perspective that exists on those who have made the sacrifice of leaving their homeland for better opportunities. The Sixth Section showed that same experience where you can see how their spirit is in their homeland just not physically there but someday hope to be. My parents as well hope to one day go back to Peru and are planning to do so once they retire because at the end of the day they are here only for me since I am the last child. You would think that after living in the U.S. for many years they would get used to living here and not go back but many have not been able to. it is interesting to see that many work hard here so they can one day go back and live comfortably over there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed reading your post. My family also sends money back to Peru for either their houses or other loved ones. My mother may be the only one in her family that does not plan on returning to Peru, but the rest of my family feels and does the same as yours does. I too felt I was able to relate to the film, the Sixth Section. I liked that you pointed out that sense of unity those in your hometown area feel by coming together in a different county and working elsewhere to build up their home country.
    I agree with you in trying to understand why families would send so much money and not invest it in living a better life here. It is interesting to know that many do not plan on staying here for long. I guess one can understand it if one relates it to a recent graduate living far from their hometown because that is where they found a job that pays very well, but plans on moving back to their hometown or surrounding areas once they've become financially secure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed how personal you made your post. I feel that other latinos including myself, could relate to the things you said. my parents are dominican and spanish, and they always send money back to their families because they know it is hard and you always support family. I can also relate to the film, and I feel it is something all first generation immigrants can relate to because our parents tried to hard to get here so they could provide for us and give us better opportunities, which is what the documentary about the sixth section is about. The best we can do is fulfill our parents dreams for us and one day give back to them because without them we wouldn't be where we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed how personal you made your post. I feel that other latinos including myself, could relate to the things you said. my parents are dominican and spanish, and they always send money back to their families because they know it is hard and you always support family. I can also relate to the film, and I feel it is something all first generation immigrants can relate to because our parents tried to hard to get here so they could provide for us and give us better opportunities, which is what the documentary about the sixth section is about. The best we can do is fulfill our parents dreams for us and one day give back to them because without them we wouldn't be where we are today.

    ReplyDelete