Thursday, October 3, 2019

STRUGGLING FOR SPACE, CREATING LATINA/O/X URBAN CULTURES


BY STUDENT

We are taught at a young age to be proud of who we are. Boriqua and proud as we play with the dominoes that have our bontia bandera engraved in the backs of them-in front of the bodega. People of all races come to America- the so called “land of the free and home of the brave” to chase their American Dreams but why do we have to fight and struggle so hard to be treated equally? Working all the jobs that no one else wants, janitors, maids, lavaplatos at minimum wage with no days off struggling to make ends meet. Why are we judged by the color of our skin and the language we speak? Constantly being told “go back where you came from,” but miss, I was born here. Growing up as a Latina in the Bronx, I have no choice but to accept that when I walk the streets of lower Manhattan I’m viewed as less than. Currently having my country being run by a white man who describes my culture and people as “undocumented immigrants” and “illegal aliens” makes our fight for equality harder and more dangerous as more and more racially motivated mass shootings occur.


Our parents made us aware of our nationality before we even knew what nationality was, purposely going out our way to say “Dios Bendiga” after every conversation or right before we left our homes and walked the streets with the people that hate our kind but still shared an awkward smile with us as we passed each other on the sidewalk. People who stereotypically play the song “Suavemente” at a party because they know that’s every Latinx’s favorite song. So many years have passed where Latinos and people of Hispanic decent were targeted and treated unfairly and ostracized because of the color of their skin. Being too dark to be classified white and too bilingual to be accepted by blacks, struggling with identity and space are just some of the conflicts Latinx’s face. We’re left and stuck lost, in the middle, not being accepted by either race though we embody both races and more, losing a sense of identity and culture. The only people we have are each other.

The Young Lords Party formed to represent the Latinx community as the influx of Latinos grew in NYC. Fighting for rights such as fair and affordable housing and decent healthcare became more of a priority. What inspired me to write this blog was a poem read during their 1969 rally titled “Puerto Rican Obituary.” It’s a strongly worded poem and is significant when describing how life was for Latinx’s. Living their lives and working hard only to die before they get the chance to fulfill the impossible goal of achieving their American Dream despite the barriers-purposely placed in their way. We may never be treated or seen as equal, but we do have Latinx pride and will never stop fighting for our voices to be heard. Unlike “Juan, Miguel, Milagros, Olga, and Manuel”(Pietri 2004), I am proud to live in a place where the ‘sacred phrase’: “Que Pasa” is a short distance away.



Citation

Pietri, P. (2004). Puerto Rican Obituary. Monthly Review, 56(2), 48. doi: 10.14452/mr-056-02-2004-06_6


.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating post, I loved your use of personal experiences and so much emotion. I can strongly relate to everything you wrote. When you said ''Growing up as a Latina in the Bronx, I have no choice but to accept that when I walk the streets of lower Manhattan I’m viewed as less than'' it hit close to home. Although I was born in Queens, I am a Latina woman and I've felt this exact same feeling when walking through Manhattan. I can feel the eyes of pale skinned, gold haired women fixated on my long, wavy hair and slight trigueƱa skin and I feel out of place, I feel like I'm being judged to the maximum capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was beautifully written, I identified with it deeply being a Latina from the Bronx as well. As a Puerto Rican woman we can say all day how much pride we have and have no shame in showing it but there are times where we are ridiculed for being so prideful. Many Puerto Ricans in my opinion have been stripped of their pride because of the control the United States has on us here and back on the island. We struggle with our identities, if you come from the island you are forced to change your ways to the American way. If your from the U.S, you're still not seen as an equal counterpart because of your background and the color of your skin. I always ask myself this question, will we ever be seen as equal?

    ReplyDelete