Friday, April 12, 2019

LATINA/O/XS TAKE CENTER STAGE: THE 2000 CENSUS

MINORITY POPULATION GROWTH AND METROPOLITAN URBAN SHIFTS
BY STUDENT

Minority population growth is a trend that has been seen across many major cities all across the United States. In fact, according to the U.S census bureau, as of 2010 the majority of Americans under the age of 1, are now considered to be minorities. With these demographic changes occurring nationwide, it is estimated that there will be a majority minority population within the next 40 to 50 years nationwide. So, what is it like to live in a majority minority urban area?

In Queens, Jackson Heights; where I was born and raised, is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country. Jackson Heights is a great example of where the minorities are the majority.
Immigrants from all over the world have a home here. As shown in the table taken from the 2017 American Community Survey, you can find a large Latino population, as well as a large South Asian population, and more in Jackson Heights. It is a place where you can find a little bit of everything and everyone. How me and my family ended up in Jackson Heights, is one of my favorite stories.
I am quite literally a product of Jackson Heights. With a large population of the neighborhood being Ecuadorian or Colombian, I am both. My mom came with my older sister, who was only 5 at the time, to Jackson Heights from Medellin, Colombia. She met my dad who is from Guayaquil, Ecuador on Roosevelt Avenue, home to the 7 line. My mother was working at a remittance place, mostly working with people who were working hard to send money back to their home countries, my dad being one of them.

My favorite time to live in Jackson Heights is during the world cup. Latinos love futbol, and that love is on full display every four years in my neighborhood. During this special time, there is no need to turn on your tv to know who is playing, you can simply step outside and listen to excited fans celebrate goals and victories, and see a uniform of jerseys. Minutes after Colombia has a victory, the streets begin to flood with people and everyone is celebrating. It is one of those moments in which immense pride fills you to have roots in such a beautiful country. I find peace in the fact that while a lot of our



parents are away from their home and family where they grew up, they have all made a home for us here, and also have found each other miles away from their motherland.

Right off Roosevelt Avenue, you have ‘ Little India’ where there is a majority population of Indians, Bangladeshis, and Pakistanis. The streets are lined with stores that sell their traditional clothes and jewelry. The vibrant colors paint Jackson Heights in a scheme of bright oranges, yellows, and reds. Many people from all over the city come to Little India to experience authentic Indian Cuisine, as well as pay a visit to their supermarkets where you can stock up on a variety of spices and herbs.
In Jackson Heights, you can find authentic cuisine on every block. Your tastebuds will travel the world without ever leaving Queens. You can find Colombian Food, Peruvian food, Indian Food, Mexican food, Dominican food, Ecuadorian food and more all on a single street. After school, every kid is running to the nearest vendor for some dollar churros, or slices of mango.
Overall, Jackson Heights is a place like no other. Where its people are thriving, working hard, and remaining humble; never forgetting where they came from. A place where everyone has brought a piece of their home to create a community. Where neighbors






can live in harmony despite not even speaking the same language. A neighborhood filled with culture. If Jackson Heights is a model of what most neighborhoods will look like one day, I am excited.



Sources:
Berg, Nate. “U.S. Metros Are Ground Zero for Majority-Minority Populations.” 
CityLab, 18 May 2012, www.citylab.com/equity/2012/05/us-metros-are-ground-zero-majority-minority-populations/2043/ .
detroitred9. “Soccer in NYC Reimagined Through the Rivalries, Identity, Migration, and Politics of the World's Game in the Preeminent Global City.” Global Soccer, Global NYC, globalsoccerglobalnyc.com/.
Nevius, James. “The Transformation of Jackson Heights.” Curbed NY, Curbed NY, 19 Apr. 2017, ny.curbed.com/2017/4/19/15328342/jackson-heights-queens-history.
Ortiz, Brennan. “NYC's Micro Neighborhoods: Little India in Jackson Heights, Queens.”UntappedCities,​ 13May2018, untappedcities.com/2014/03/04/nycs-micro-neighborhoods-little-india-in-jackson-heights-queens /.

U.S. Census Bureau, 2013-2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates

8 comments:

  1. America would truly be a boring place without the influx of cultural ideas from immigrants. I love the amazing restaurants and shops in these little minority-majority neighborhoods- it can really feel like you're traveling to a new place. I know some people don't like the fact that they exist, and I really wonder... don't some of these same people spend money to travel and go on vacations? How can you complain about people not assimilating when you SPEND MONEY to travel and experience other cultures? Seems very inconsistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a super interesting read! It was great to hear how you have a personal connections to the topics we've been discussing in class. I agree with you completely, diversity is truly something amazing! I come from a very diverse place as well and I love having the privilege to see a plethora of different cultures and faces when I drive down the street. Now that the majority is minorities, we should be seeing this all over America not just in certain places. Of course, there are always going to be people resistant to change but I think as a society as a whole, we have become more tolerant to different cultures and ideas. I believe that as time goes on, more and more people will see the beauty in diversity and in sharing this country with all ethnicities and races.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great share. We share similar experiences. I appreciate how you share your experiences, as it makes this more authentic. I live in a small village that is about 80% latino. The world cup is a special time that brings out everyones cultures. No matter where you are from, there is a bond between the different cultures. I get to enjoy foods from all over the world where I live. It's a different environment when the minorities are the majority. It will only increase in the future as we are seeing the change now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting insights on your own cultural background and its relation to the community you grew up in. I appreciate the inclusion of your personal experiences, as it makes the blog more interesting and easy to read. I think if you related it back to the broader topic of the census and representation, the blogs purpose and message would be even clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a good read, thank you for reminding me of the old Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I am from Williamsburg where it was also known as Los Sures, where majority were also the minority, hispanics. The streets use to be full of families getting together and spending time together. Now it is gentrified and the different people don't get along. I hope this brings ideas to different cultures, like Americans that don't like to try new things. Although some do, the majority would never want to really see how minorities live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a huge soccer fan myself, I can relate with the feeling of coming together to support our favourite soccer teams. It brings about the feeling of closeness and the forgetfulness of all external oppressions minorities go through during this period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved your description of jackson heights. Momentarily, I felt like I was there in the streets looking at the clothing shops and smelling the food, haha! Considering that my family is from Pakistan and I grew up in a largely white-dominated community, I always enjoyed visiting Jackson Heights with my family; it was kind of like a home away from home.
    I also really liked that you shared your story with us. I think it further supported the argument you made about majority-minority spaces in a metropolitan area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the visuals on this post, the different events that bring people together makes a special connections. Certain neighborhoods are truly alive during these times.America is truly an amazing place when because there is a various amount of culture

    ReplyDelete