Thursday, September 13, 2012

STRUGGLING FOR SPACE, CREATING LATINO URBAN CULTURES


BY MELISSA

I grew up in Washington Heights, which many assume is the heart of Hispanic NYC. This is true except for a snippet of “ The Heights,” Fort Washington Ave., which is dominantly Jewish and white. This is where I grew up and my family still lives. In this area of Washington Heights mostly everything revolves around the Jewish community. Since I was a child I have witnessed the struggle Hispanics have had to overcome for a small amount of space they can call their own. Growing up my family was one of ten families that lived in my building. By the time I turned 17 and moved out there were only two Hispanic families left.            
            The way the community is set up contributes to how welcomed Hispanics feel in their neighborhood. Simple things include not having Spanish or Hispanic products in the supermarkets and having to walk a few extra blocks for some sazon to cook the way they do, or the fact that the prices are slightly higher since Spanish products are in lower demand. For example in the supermarket on Fort Washington you can find 3 plantains for 1 dollar as opposed to the local market 3 blocks away on Amsterdam Ave. where they are 5 for 1 dollar. Another cause that adds to the uncomfortable environment is that Hispanics can’t express their culture the way they are used to. For example, Hispanics love to play loud music and have festivities to just celebrate life. Communities with few Hispanics sometimes do not understand this cultural expression and call the police or repeatedly ask for the noise to stop. What is in the community also contributes to how comfortable Hispanics feel in the space they are living. On Fort Washington Ave. where I used to live the only type of religious building there was, was a synagogue. For my family and I, to go to Sunday mass we had to walk a long way.   
            From the 13 Point Program the Young Lords put together, point 6 states: “We want a true education of our Creole culture and Spanish language. We must learn our history of fighting against cultural, as well as economic genocide by the yanqui. Revolutionary culture, culture of our people, is the only true teaching.” This means that Hispanics came to the United States and it was almost like all their sense of culture and pride was trying to be erased. But Hispanics fought to be better educated and to keep their spirit alive in all the generations. They made sure that the younger generations knew where they came from and still took pride in being a Latino/a. The picture below is an average bedroom 50-40 years ago. The typical Hispanic family has 5 people or more. This made living arrangements in places they could afford uncomfortable. Many families would have to divide the living room to make some sleeping space or have people share rooms or even go live with other relatives. Up until I was 17 years old my sister and I shared a room because there was not enough space. Hispanics have been struggling for space since they entered the United States but they continue to succeed and try and make their voice and spirit alive slowly.

8 comments:

  1. That is a very interesting topic that you chose to speak especially because you can relate to it. I think that a person feels more strongly towards something and can further explain the struggles if they, themselves, have experienced it. An informative yet sad blog.

    Anna Talarico

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this blog posting alot. it was really well written and I was interested by how you compared it to the Young Lord's point 6. The contrast between the Dominican and East Coast Latinos as a whole and the Jewish population is also something that should be studied upon more. I've even noticed it up here in Upstate New York because one could argue that it's segregated here, too. i think when people aren't used to us, Latinos i mean, they look at us with preconceived notions and try and judge us. Once again, this was a great posting.

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your blog post and can relate to the struggle for space especially with the supermarkets. I live about 60 miles outside of NYC in a small village called Washingtonville, which is a predominately white community. Moving from the Bronx at a young age Washingtonville was an adjustment, although I have come to love where I live. Living in the Bronx it was very easy to go to the supermarket to get whatever we needed by just a short walk and always having the "Spanish" products my grandmother used to cook for us. In Washingtonville you need to drive about 5 minutes to go to the local supermarket or about 20 minutes to get to Walmart, where it was really hard to find "spanish" products, such as seasonings, coffee and other produce, and even if it were available it was very expensive. Now about 13 years later since I've moved there are more and more supermarkets that carry spanish products, although the drive is still about 20 minutes.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting post. I feel that it was a subtle form of gentrification. Not as radical as raising rent, and starting large scale projects. But still in its own way pushing people out by refusing to make simple accommodations that would not harm the community at all; and creating inconveniences for Latinos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading you’re post, and I can also relate to the struggle of not having enough space and gentrification. I was born and raised in Lower East Side Manhattan which was a Spanish neighborhood and as the years went by more white people started to move in. The scenery changed, where clothing stores and restaurants used to be there are now bars and condos. When my family came from the Dominican Republic they all moved into one apartment which only had two bedrooms. They also had to make extra space so that everyone can have their own little space. I’m glad chose this topic because I feel like everyone can relate to this.

    Stephanie Diaz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Youseff Tannous:

    I find it very helpful that you used many of your personal experiences to relate because it gives a more personable view of the struggle for space that takes place for many Hispanics in the United States. It's upsetting to see that many places will do things on purpose to keep certain types of people out of a region, such as, not including Hispanic foods or goods in the stores. This is a sign to show the Hispanic people that this is not a place for them to stay and not to get too comfortable because it doesn't cater to them. Good thing, many fought for their right to space and kept up their fight so future generations can have easier, better lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I am not Hispanic i can relate to this blog post I use to live in Brooklyn in a predominately Caribbean community so whatever was need you can walk a block to the store and you can get it for a good price. Now that i live in Queens my parents sometimes go to my old neighborhood to get these things because it less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When i was reading your blog it very much reminded me of my hometown. I am from Williamsburg, which was a place predominantly Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. However, now you walk doen the streets and you almost feel you are in downtown Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete